Wednesday, July 15
****This contest is now over. Thanks for entering!!!****
One step away...
Seven years ago Beth Denison was attacked by a killer named Chevy Bankes. Since then, she's created a new life for herself and her daughter, one far removed from the night that ended in an awful tragedy. But now Bankes is out of prison, and his chilling phone calls tell Beth he's coming for her.
One breath away...
Ex-FBI agent Neil Sheridan is driven to investigate a chain of murders that are eerily similar to a disturbing case from his past. When the killer's trail dead-ends at Beth's doorstep, Neil finds a beautiful woman with a secret she'll do anything to keep. Yet even as Beth surrenders to Neil's protection - and then his embrace - she can't tell him why Bankes hungers to hear her scream, and why she'll soon consider doing the unthinkable: face Bankes alone.
Killer Chevy Bankes is a master of disguise, and just paroled, he's coming after the woman who sent him to jail, the beautiful antiques expert Beth Denison. A set of antique dolls brings Beth into his sight, and inspire Chevy's disturbing crimes as he draws closer to Beth and her young daughter. Chevy sends the dolls to Beth one-by-one and she soon realizes that these antiques carry the same marks as his victims, signaling that the final piece in his collection will be for her.
Neil Sheridan gave up his FBI shield five years ago, but his best friend Rick, a cop, pulls him in as a consultant on a case involving a serial killer who is eerily similar to a murderer Neil encountered in the past. The investigation leads Neil to Beth's doorstep, and he is certain she isn't telling him the truth. Neil is the only one who can get through Beth's defenses and, as they grow closer, discover the secrets that Beth is hiding about her fateful night with Chevy.
My writing career began in the closet, where--thankfully--my first several novels remain. As a full-time choral conductor and assistant professor of music education, I didn't consider going public with my fiction. It was strictly clandestine and only a hobby.
Then the needs of small children convinced me to switch to part-time teaching. For the first couple of years as a mostly stay-at-home-mom, it was all I could do to complete the metamorphosis from domestically-challenged career woman to culinary-queen and housework goddess. (Okay...Some transitions are never fully realized.) But later, when the kids got old enough to be in school for six hours a day, the characters in my head found time to come out again. Murderers, cops, victims, lovers. I started writing down everything they did and said, then finally decided to see if anyone but me wanted to read about them.
Now, I lead a double life. Some days are spent in the university classroom or at the rehearsal podium; others spent chasing villains on my laptop.
So what do I do when I'm not creating music teachers or psycho murderers? (Two unrelated populations, I assure you.) With a husband, two children, and way too many furry, feathery, and scaly things, there isn't a lot of time left. It's enough to keep up with the house, the yard, and the family schedule, and hope no one on my laptop gets murdered when I'm not looking.
Five Fun Facts about One Scream Away:
1. I spent weeks one summer watching an antique doll expert strip down Victorian fashion dolls, peel off their hair, and study them under black lights, to help catalogue a collection at the antiques firm where I worked.
2. When I was lucky enough to have an agent request the manuscript for One Scream Away, I was too chicken to send it. I waited more than two years to do so.
3. I didn’t know the truth about the Jenny character in One Scream Away until the final course of edits. In fact, in the first draft, she was “Jimmy.”
4. The original title was Dollface.
5. The dog, Heinz, in One Scream Away is the only character modeled after someone real. Our late beloved dog, UFO, which stands for “Unidentified Furry Object” and is pronounced “Yoo-foh,” was the 60-pound fuzzy love-sponge that inspired him.
Courtesy of Forever Books I have 5 copies of this great book to giveaway!
Ways to earn entries:
- Leave a comment telling me that you would like to win (good for 1 entry)
- Become a follower of Seductive Musings, and/or mention that you are already a follower in your comment (good for 3 entries)
- Blog about this contest on your blog and leave a link with your comment (good for 5 entries)
- If you don't have a blog, don't worry you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they leave a comment on this post and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries (good for 2 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend)
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 20 entries, or 30 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
- Your comment MUST include your email address in order for you to be eligible
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to residents of the U.S. or Canada only, and NO PO Boxes are allowed
- The contest will end Saturday July 25 at 11:59 pm EST and winners will be contacted via email on Sunday July 26, 2009
- Winners will be selected using Random.org
- All winners will have THREE days from the date they are contacted to provide your mailing address. If you do not respond within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice