Friday, July 10
Dutybound to return with his brother’s wayward bride, Sir Hugh Douglas is not prepared for how her quick wit, courage, and laughing eyes touch his warrior heart. Now, as the merry minstrels play matchmaker and passion sparks between Hugh and Jenny, the conspiracy against Scotland builds…and threatens all they hold dear.
Five Fun Facts about Tamed by a Laird:
1. During the 14th century, Englishwomen could inherit wealth but not titles. If no appropriate male heir existed (with the King generally defining “appropriate”) the King simply awarded the title and, often, the wealthy heiress daughter to a royal favorite. However, in Scotland, it had become almost commonplace for a daughter to inherit her father’s title if she had no brothers. With long-running unrest between the two countries (more than 200 years of it), particularly in the Borders, many Scotswomen became baronesses, even countesses, in their own right. For example, Robert the Bruce’s mother became Countess of Carrick in her own right when her father died, and Bruce inherited the Earldom of Carrick from her.
2. Jenny Easdale, a young baroness in her own right who runs away from her betrothal feast to enjoy one last adventure before marrying, is a woman one might describe as thoughtfully stubborn. Jenny rarely raises her voice, always agrees with her opposition in one way or another, and nearly always gets her own way—much to the consternation of those who expect to control her.
3. Sir Hugh Douglas is one of those so dismayed. A much-honored knight and warrior, Hugh is accustomed to seeing his every command obeyed…instantly. As head of his family, he certainly expects such obedience from young Jenny after her betrothal to his younger brother. However, Jenny has other ideas.
4. Medieval minstrels could go anywhere. Female minstrels, dancers, and gleewomen were common. Minstrel troupes followed armies in times of war and had access to both camps without interference. They thus gained admission to houses and castles without difficulty and even acted as spies. King Alfred of England (871-901) “assumed the character of a gleeman and entered the [enemy] camp, where he made such observations as were of infinite service.” Other such spies were equally successful.
5. Tamed by a Laird is the first book in my new trilogy. Seduced by a Rogue will follow it in January 2010. I have based all three books on fourteenth-century events described in an unpublished manuscript written by a Lady Maxwell in the mid-sixteenth century.
Courtesy of Forever Books I have 5 copies of this great book to giveaway!
Ways to earn entries:
- Leave a comment telling me that you would like to win (good for 1 entry)
- Become a follower of Seductive Musings, and/or mention that you are already a follower in your comment (good for 3 entries)
- Blog about this contest on your blog and leave a link with your comment (good for 5 entries)
- If you don't have a blog, don't worry you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they leave a comment on this post and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries (good for 2 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend)
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 20 entries, or 30 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
- Your comment MUST include your email address in order for you to be eligible
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to residents of the U.S. or Canada only, and NO PO Boxes are allowed
- The contest will end Saturday July 18 at 11:59 pm EST and winners will be contacted via email on Sunday July 19, 2009
- Winners will be selected using Random.org
- All winners will have THREE days from the date they are contacted to provide your mailing address. If you do not respond within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
Don't forget to enter our other giveaways before it's too late:
A Hint of Wicked and My Forbidden Desire giveaways both end TODAY 7/10/09
Karin Tabke's Master of Surrender giveaway ends Saturday 7/11/09
Amanda McIntyre's Tortured giveaway ends Saturday 7/11/09