Wednesday, January 20
This Wednesday's Share the Love post would make a great gift for any friend, loved one, or even yourself...really anyone who is a booklover.
One of my biggest pet peeves is dog earring book pages while reading. I will use just about anything to mark a page instead of turning down a corner. I've used kleenex (unused of course), receipts, gum wrappers, wallet size photos....you name it; just about any paper product will do in a pinch rather than turning down the page. Don't even get me started on creasing the binding in a book :)
Which is why I love this bookmark idea that I read in a Martha Stewart Living magazine several years ago (MSL June 2006). And if you've ever tried one of Martha's craft ideas...don't worry this one is NOT time consuming, impossible to do, or require costly supplies. It's a bookmark that also has a favorite photo on it. Isn't that a great idea!
I made them for my friends and mother last year for Mother's Day, but I think this would also make a "just because I was thinking of you" kind of gift. What's better than having a picture of someone you love close at hand, while reading a great book?
Here's what you need:
- A trimmed photo (approx 1 1/2 inches wide x at least 1 1/2 inches in length) It can be color or black and white. A facial picture works best.
- 2" wide grosgrain ribbon in the color of your choice. Cut to approx 2-3 inches longer than the book type of your choice (small paperback, trade paperback, or hardcover). You can snip a "v" into each end to prevent fraying, or use pinking shears if you have them.
- Once the ribbon and the photo have been trimmed. Hand sew the photo to the ribbon by placing a stitch at each corner.
- You're done!
It makes it even more special when you gift this bookmark inside a new or special novel. It's like a hidden surprise when they open it and see that it 's not just an ordinary bookmark but was meant, and made with love just for them. That time and thought went into the gift, not money. It's not about the cost of the gift that will make them treasure it, and consider it dear to their hearts, but that you made it for them using a picture of someone they love. I love this idea, which is why I thought to share it with you all today. Not to mention it could save a book from being abused...OK that may be a bit harsh, but I did say it was a pet peeve :)
So tell me, do you dog ear, or do you scrounge when you don't have a bookmark handy? What's the oddest thing you've used as a bookmark?
Share the Love is a weekly meme hosted by Seductive Musings every Wednesday.
- Every Wednesday post whatever it is that you love on your blog or website.
- Then leave a link to your post in the comments on the weekly Share the Love post at Seductive Musings. If you don't have a blog, that's ok you can still share the love in your comment on the weekly Seductive Musings post.
- What can you share...well that depends on what you love :) Here are some ideas: a new blog or website, a great recipe that is a taste bud triumph, new shoes or purse that you seriously can't afford but lust after anyway, a great love story like the ones from When Harry Met Sally, a love note to someone special in your life (or wish was), a book you just adore and can't wait to share with someone, a song or CD that plays on repeat until it's worn out, poems, pictures, videos, or even baby giggles :) I think you get the idea.
*I am an Amazon affiliate and receive a small (and I mean very small) referral fee for purchases made using a link on this blog. I don't use Amazon to earn money, I use it because the widgets are cool, easy to use, and serve my purposes to showcase books & such with minimal effort, but most importantly they have great prices and offer both new and used items. As a book addict I love that I can find just about anything I want in one place. If you are going to purchase a featured book anyway, and you know you won't pay more by using the links on this blog than you would by visiting Amazon on your own, I will be eternally grateful for supporting this blog by using the links :)