Thursday, July 29
I mentioned on Monday that somehow this week ended up being "snake week" at Seductive Musings. *Shudder* I don't really know how it happened. If you would have asked me if I would ever have a week with this common theme I would have told you "absolutely not!" I have a MAJOR phobia of snakes! I can remember as a child getting these educational magazines that featured all kinds of animals that were supposed to teach you the wonder of nature. It never failed that at least one of the pages had a picture of a snake...I wouldn't even touch the page that it was on....ever. I've gotten a little bit better about it, but not much.
When I found out that Cherry Adair was writing a new paranormal romance I was intrigued. She's very well known for her T-FLAC series, but I didn't know very much about Black Magic so I decided to check out her website and learn more. Wanna know what I found? Snakes! Snakes on her website (and even though they are pretty rainbow colors they still have fangs), and snakes in her book. I stuck it out long enough to know that even though the story involves snakes I still wanted to read it (then quickly clicked away from the pics). She enticed me enough despite my phobia...and I think it helps that the book doesn't have any pictures of them in it, as well as a hunky hero :) Cherry's here today to talk about Black Magic...and snakes. Read and enjoy!
BLACK MAGIC and snakes - And lots of them. Yikes. What was I thinking??!
Everyone has something that scares the living crap out of them. My husband screams like a girl when he sees the teeniest tiniest spider. I'm not that crazy about them myself, but I can smack them with a bare hand for him. But snakes. . .
My fear (a mild word for how I really feel!) stems from waking up from my afternoon nap as a toddler to find my hysterical mother standing over me with a garden rake. A venomous boomslang (tree snake) from the vacant lot behind our house decided to curl up under my chin as I snoozed on my blankie in the shade of the oak in the back yard. Frankly, I was only scared out of my little mind because my mother was shrieking like a demented banshee, not because I was afraid of the long green thing cuddled up beside me.
My mother, with the help of the old man next door, managed to hook the snake on the tines of the rake and toss it back into the field. (Personally I would have gone for stomping that sucker to death with the rake, but that's just me!) It was only years later that I realized how close I'd been to freaking death! Clearly, I wasn't bitten, since I'm alive to tell the tale. But the experience scared me for life. Fortunately I have a wonderful job where I can exploit these little life's experiences at will. *smiley* (btw-South Africa has 35 venomous snakes, and 8 highly venomous snakes. That seems excessive for one country to me!)
I wanted to veer out of my comfort zone (and did I ever!) and write a straight paranormal. (as with snakes, paranormal. . .anything kinda freaks me out. But that's another story!) Since I already had an affinity for wizards (albeit T-FLAC/psi kick butt-take-no-prisoners-wizards) I decided to start there.
The Aequitas and the Omnivatics have been bitter enemies since the beginning of time. There's a lot of history and bad blood between them. Fortunately, the Omnivatics died out hundreds of years ago. . .Or did they? (Of course not, or I wouldn't have a book, I'd have a page!) Jackson Slater is an Aequitas warrior, but foremost, he's a geologist. (this isn't a T-FLAC book for those who are asking *smiley*) He's sexy, driven, focused and fabulous. *smiley* His life's work is the tracking of mystical leylines which give(my)wizards their powers. I fell in love with Jack, and because I loved him, gave him my biggest fear. Snakes.
Sara Temple is also a wizard. A non practicing wizard. When she tries spells they always go horribly wrong. She thinks the whole wizard thing is stupid and dangerous, and she leaves well enough alone. She's living her life happily and magic free. Sara is focused, driven and sexy. (see how these two are exactly the same but completely different?! Lol) And because I adored Sara I made her an interior designer (which I used to be *smiley*)
All well and good, you say, but did you HAVE to add snakes to the mix? Well, I could have made the Omnivatics scorpions, or man-eating termites, or giant spiders, but none of those things creeped me out nearly as much as snakes! So, yes. There are snakes in BLACK MAGIC. But that's just the scary part and some will be more scared than others reading about them. (my spider-terrified spouse, said "What's the big deal?" when he read the bits about the snakes. See? One man's spider is another woman's snake to paraphrase *smiley*)
At its heart BLACK MAGIC is a love story about two people who were ripped apart and are unwillingly thrown back together to fight a mutual foe. I hope you have as much fun reading about Jack and Sara as I did writing them. There's an excerpt and a slide show about BLACK MAGIC on my website. www.cherryadair.com Feel free to leave me your I %$#@^ HATE snakes message there. *smiley*
Ever since the death of her parents, Sara Temple has rejected her magical gifts. Then, in a moment of extreme danger, she unknowingly sends out a telepathic cry for help—to the one man she is convinced she never wants to see again.
HE’S A POWERFUL WIZARD . . .
Jackson Slater thought he was done forever with his ex-fiancée, but when he hears her desperate plea, he teleports halfway around the world to aid her in a situation where magic has gone suddenly, brutally wrong.
THEY’VE BEEN CHOSEN TO SAVE THE WORLD . . .
But while Sara and Jack remain convinced they are completely mismatched, the Wizard Council feels otherwise. A dark force is killing some of the world’s most influential wizards, and the ex-lovers have just proved their abilities are mysteriously amplified when they work together. But with the fate of the world at stake, will the violent emotions still simmering between them drive them farther apart . . . or bring them back into each other’s arms?
Many thanks Cherry for being my guest today (despite all the snakes). Normally I will try to include pictures of something that an author references in her post, but when it comes to snakes....OMG, my fear is so irrational that I can't even look at them on a page or on a screen that has one on it...seriously, it's that bad (I know I mentioned this early, but it bears repeating). So when Cherry referenced a snake in the story, I knew I couldn't include the picture in the post (because then I wouldn't even be able to visit my own blog), so the best I could do was provide a link :)
If you'd like to learn more about Cherry and the books she writes you can find her at her oh so fab website www.cherryadair.com, where I exhibited oustanding fear control when researching Black Magic, and failed T-Flac training dismally (just ask Kane, my mission commander).
To celebrate the release of Black Magic by Cherry Adair, her publisher Pocket Books has generously offered to give away one copy of her new book. Here's how you can enter to win...
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Leave a meaningful comment...something more than "I'd like to win this book" (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US addresses only (apologies to my international readers)
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on July 31 at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*I am an Amazon affiliate and receive a small (and I mean very small) referral fee for purchases made using a link on this blog. I don't use Amazon to earn money, I use it because the widgets are cool, easy to use, and serve my purposes to showcase books & such with minimal effort, but most importantly they have great prices and offer both new and used items. As a book addict I love that I can find just about anything I want in one place. If you are going to purchase a featured book anyway, and you know you won't pay more by using the links on this blog than you would by visiting Amazon on your own, I will be eternally grateful for supporting this blog by using the links, and don't forget that the referral fees from your purchases will sponsor the "Reader Rewards" giveaways :)