Friday, January 21
I've made it no secret that I love me an Alpha hero. LOVE LOVE LOVE is definitely not too strong a phrase to use :) I've read a few good books featuring Beta heroes that would earn the triple "L", but the majority of heroes that I love....you guessed it, they are all Alpha baby! They're passionate, possessive (but only the good kind of possessive) and out to please their heroine any way they can...at least by the end of the story.
Author Delaney Diamond is my guest today to share her views on Alpha heroes, and the traits that make them so yummy! Read and enjoy.
Tall, Dark, and Alpha – Heavy on the Alpha
Before I get started, I want give a big “Thank You!” to Seductive Musings for letting me ramble on about how hot alpha male heroes are. Alpha men are my favorite type of hero to read about and write about.
Any romance publisher or romance author will tell you the alpha male hero is still very popular, even in today’s age of independent Superwomen. What is it about the alpha male that still makes him the top fantasy of red-blooded women everywhere? From contemporary to historical, from interracial to paranormal romances, there’s no denying his irresistible appeal.
After conducting an unscientific poll, I’ve identified the traits that alpha males exhibit that could only be described as kryptonite to every Superwoman.
He’s physically strong, but that’s not what this is about. He has the authority to make high level decisions and influence behaviors. That’s easy enough to understand. Women and men gravitate to power, and the alpha male has plenty of it. He may have presidential veto or be a leader in his industry. Whatever it is, the people surrounding him hang on his every word, ready to follow his every command.
“Well…um…er…can I kiss you?” Don’t ask, just do it! An alpha male knows the signals a woman gives off and doesn’t hesitate to go in for the kill. A well-placed hand on the nape, a firm tug into a warm embrace, and you’re putty in his hands. Even if he doesn’t own the company, he walks around as if he does. And isn’t confidence near the top of everyone’s list of what makes the opposite sex sexy?
He’s as comfortable in a pair of old jeans as he is in a designer suit. He wears them well, and he follows his own style and ignores society’s fashion trends. You’ll never catch an alpha male in fashion from two seasons ago. He’s only concerned with the classics—timeless pieces known for their longevity.
An alpha male is passionate in everything he does. He loves intensely, works hard, and plays hard. He aims to please, and he knows he can (see confidence above). Whatever he puts his mind to you, you know he’ll do it to the best of his ability. Be it work, play, or making his woman’s toes curl. He comes hard or doesn’t come at all (pun intended).
There you have it. Four traits that explain why today’s woman is so fascinated with alpha males.
In my debut release, The Arrangement, Leonardo da Silva is an alpha male who exudes all four traits. His estranged wife, Alexa, needs a loan to help her brother. In true alpha form, Leonardo aims to teach her a lesson for leaving him. He offers her the money with a catch. She has to agree to move back in and resume her role as his wife for two months.
You’ve read the reasons why I think alpha heroes star in so many fantasies. Agree or disagree? If you read romance novels, I’m sure you have your own ideas. Did I miss any?
Share your thoughts in the comments section for a chance to win a digital copy of my November 12, 2010 release, The Arrangement.
Brazilian millionaire, Leonardo da Silva, is still seething from when his African-American wife, Alexa, walked out on him four months ago. Now she’s in his office asking for a business loan to help her brother. Instead of a loan, he’s willing to give her the money, but only if she resumes her role as his wife for the next two months. She reluctantly agrees, and she soon finds herself wishing their arrangement was permanent. But when she finds out about Leonardo’s betrayal, there may be no way for them to mend their broken marriage.
Read the 1st Chapter, an additional excerpt, & an exclusive bonus excerpt just for Musings readers
Congratulations Delaney on your debut! If you'd like to learn more about author Delaney Diamond and the sweet and sensual romances that she writes you can find her at her website www.delaneydiamond.com, her blog and on Facebook.
To celebrate the release of The Arrangement, Delaney would like to giveaway one digital copy of the book to a lucky Musings follower. Here's how you can enter to win...
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Answer the question Delaney posed to readers in her post AND leave her some comment love by telling her what you think or asking her a question.(good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US & International readers
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on January 23rd at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*I am an Amazon affiliate and receive a small (and I mean very small) referral fee for purchases made using a link on this blog. I don't use Amazon to earn money, I use it because the widgets are cool, easy to use, and serve my purposes to showcase books & such with minimal effort, but most importantly they have great prices and offer both new and used items. As a book addict I love that I can find just about anything I want in one place. If you are going to purchase a featured book anyway, and you know you won't pay more by using the links on this blog than you would by visiting Amazon on your own, I will be eternally grateful for supporting this blog by using the links, and don't forget that the referral fees from your purchases will sponsor the "Reader Rewards" giveaways :)