Wednesday, March 2
A long time ago I signed up to get travel emails from the Scotland Tourism Board, and because of that every so often I get an email from Catriona sending me pictures of all of the lovely places and events that I would one day like to visit and experience. I have an on going love affair with Scotland because of a few very special romances, as well as these temptingly cruel emails :) So when I received the opportunity to have author Kira Morgan be my guest as part of Forever Romance's "From Scotland With Love" celebration I immediately said yes...not to the dress...more like a skirt...of the more manly variety; the kilt :)
Author Kira Morgan is my guest today to talk a little bit about the strength of women during treacherous times as well as her new historical romance, Seduced by Destiny. Read and enjoy!
Thanks for the invitation to Seductive Musings! I’m very happy to be here, especially since you’ve asked about a topic near and dear to my heart—women warriors.
Because I write about empowered women, I’m frequently confronted by skeptics who insist that ladies of the Renaissance were little more than chattel, that they did their husbands’ bidding in all things, that they had no status or power and were at the mercy of men. After all, that’s what the detailed histories written by celibate monks tell us.
For the truth, think about the plays of Shakespeare, where women could sometimes wield great power, influencing husbands and fathers, sons and kings, through wiles or wit, twisting the fortunes of men around their little fingers.
Practical records of the period—private letters, ledgers, instruction books, sales receipts, and legal documents—also contradict the notion of the helpless female and paint a completely different portrait of the Renaissance woman.
Not only might a woman own property and run a business, but an educated woman was considered a prize, and though nobles might have arranged marriages, it was customary among the general population for a bride to choose her own bridegroom.
As far as warfare, female knights of the Middle Ages like Eleanor of Aquitaine, Jeanne of Montfort, and Joan of Arc set the foundation for the Renaissance. Of course, the most powerful war-waging woman of the 16th century was Queen Elizabeth herself, who had the whole English armada at her command. Mary Queen of Scots was no slouch either. But in addition to notable and colorful figures like Grainne Ni Mhaille, the Irish pirate queen, and Captain Mary Ambree, who defended Ghent against the Spanish, there were scores of nameless women who took up the sword in desperate defense of their homeland.
Scotland in particular became an ongoing war zone when Henry VIII began his “Rough Wooing” of young Mary Queen of Scots by sending troops to raze the Borders. There are several accounts of women taking up weapons against the ruthless English invaders who’d been instructed to “Put all to fire and sword!”
One such chilling account became the seed of my story in SEDUCED BY DESTINY. Maid Lilliard, a young bride whose husband had been killed by enemy troops, avenged him by joining the battle against the English at Ancrum Moor. She fought valiantly, slaying many foes even after she was mortally wounded. Her gravestone still stands as a monument to her courage and to the courage of all the Scotswomen who went to war alongside their husbands.
SEDUCED BY DESTINY is the story of Lilliard’s fictional daughter Josselin, an orphan of war raised by three of the soldiers who saw her mother fall at Ancrum Moor. Jossy, practically born with a blade in her hand, has her mother’s fighting spirit, and when she’s faced with the decision to kiss or kill her sworn enemy, Drew MacAdam, she earns a place among the ranks of brave women warriors.
So who is your favorite tough-as-nails heroine? Xena? Lara Croft? Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Do tell!
All her life, Josselin Ancrum has been trained for combat, hoping to exact vengeance for her heroic mother, who was killed fighting the English. When asked to spy for the Scottish Queen, Jossy joyfully accepts. But when a handsome stranger rescues her from sudden danger, his charm distracts her from her mission.
On the surface, Drew MacAdam may appear to be nothing more than a carefree champion, but his heart harbors a dark secret: This Highland hero is actually a skilled English soldier with a hatred for war and for the Scottish. Yet from the moment he meets the feisty Jossy, he's captured by her fiercely loyal heart. He's determined the honey-haired lass will be his ultimate prize - until the tragedy of their entwined legacies is revealed. Are these star-crossed lovers to be divided by their pasts? Or will they be...seduced by destiny?
When eighteen-year-old Lady Catriona Mackintosh discovers a wounded man in the forest near her Highland home, little does she know that he has sworn a sacred oath to kill her father and other members of the powerful Highland confederation known as Clan Chattan. Nor does she realize that she has met her soul mate. Independent, competent, intelligent, fiercely proud of her heritage, determined always to live near her own family, and known to her family as the "wee wildcat" because of her quick temper, Catriona is the daughter of a Highland chieftain and granddaughter of the even more powerful Chief (or Captain) of Clan Chattan. But her life changes forever when she persuades Sir Finlagh Cameron to return with her to her home to recover from his wounds.
Sir Finlagh "Fin" Cameron is on a mission for the heir to Scotland's throne, who has sent him to the Highlands to persuade the Chief of Clan Chattan to arrange a secret meeting for him with two other great lords (the Lord of the Isles and the Lord of the North). Until Fin meets Catriona, however, he has no idea that her father was the Clan Chattan war leader who led them in the battle that wiped out many of Clan Cameron's best warriors, including Fin's own father. The sole survivor of that battle, Fin accepted a bequest of vengeance from his dying father, providing him with a dilemma to face as he begins to fall in love with Catriona. He is not the only one enticed by her charms, either. There are two other contenders, one of whom is his own master, the heir to Scotland's throne. With royal mischief afoot, if Catriona and Fin are ever to find happiness, they must first avoid disaster that could change Scotland's history, and find ways to be open and honest with each other.
(it's a good one!)
My many thanks to Kira for being my guest today! If you'd like to learn more about Kira and the books she writes you can find her at Facebook, on Twitter, and at her website www.glynnis.net/kiramorgan where you can enter a sweepstakes to win the silver thimble Drew gives to Jossy!
To celebrate all of these fabulous kilted heroes Forever Romance would like to giveaway copies of both Seduced by Destiny by Kira Morgan and Highland Master by Amanda Scott as part of their "From Scotland With Love" event to three lucky Musings followers. That's right, three winners will win both of these great highland romances! Here's how you can enter to win:
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Answer the question Kira asked readers in her post, AND show her some comment love by leaving a meaningful comment or question for her. (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US & Canadian addresses only, sorry no PO Boxes
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on March 12th at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*I am an Amazon affiliate and receive a small (and I mean very small) referral fee for purchases made using a link on this blog. I don't use Amazon to earn money, I use it because the widgets are cool, easy to use, and serve my purposes to showcase books & such with minimal effort, but most importantly they have great prices and offer both new and used items. As a book addict I love that I can find just about anything I want in one place. If you are going to purchase a featured book anyway, and you know you won't pay more by using the links on this blog than you would by visiting Amazon on your own, I will be eternally grateful for supporting this blog by using the links, and don't forget that the referral fees from your purchases will sponsor the "Reader Rewards" giveaways :)