Tuesday, March 15
I found my guest author today because of a free read on Amazon when her novella Rough Cut was offered by her publisher Samhain Publishing for free, so I guess you could say that today is a testament to the power of the "Free" read for anyone who doubts the benefits of this type of promotion. It got me hooked!
After reading Rough Cut I went out and checked her website, and much to my delight I saw that she had a new book and series coming out very soon so I invited her to share it with us, because who can resist sexy cowboys? As you well know, not me :) Read and enjoy!
Writing is a solitary career—usually. For me, it’s something I do alone in my office. Recently, author and friend, Jayne Rylon and I decided to try our hand at co-writing a series. I’ll admit I was reticent at first because, as I said, writing has always been a very private thing for me. I’m very happy I didn’t give into those immediate reservations. Writing with Jayne has been an incredibly positive experience!
I met Jayne at Lori Foster’s Readers-Writers Get Together back in 2009. To say we hit it off instantly would be an understatement. I was familiar with her, having read her stories, Nice is Naughty and Dream Machine. I knew she was a talented writer and as the years have passed, she’s become a very good friend.
One night in the midst of a string of emails between us—this is sort of a nightly thing and for the most part, we talk about nothing—she said we should write a series together. I said, “What would we write?” From there, the Compass Brothers series was born. Before we approached Samhain with our pitch, we outlined the series, wrote a synopsis for each of the four books, but most importantly, we discussed how we would do the actual writing. The series revolves around the Compton brothers. The four cowboys decide to leave the family ranch in Wyoming to see the world. Silas, the oldest, heads to Alaska, where he works on an oil rig. Seth travels south to work on a big Texas ranch. Sam seeks greener pastures in the Big Apple, while the youngest brother, Sawyer, joins the Coast Guard. However, the brothers soon learn that the grass isn’t always greener elsewhere and they find their hearts longing for home.
Book one, Northern Exposure, the fruits of our combined effort, hits Samhain Publishing today and I’m so excited to see this story release. The second book in the series, Southern Comfort, is written and will release in July with Eastern Ambitions and Western Ties to follow later this year and in early 2012.
All roads lead home when that’s where you’ve left your heart.
Compass Brothers, Book 1
Silas Compton always had his eye on Lucy, the veterinarian’s daughter. He was even content to wait for the girl of his dreams to grow up before getting anywhere near her with his family’s double-edged legacy.
Waiting around led to fooling around with his best friend—and an impulsive eruption of desire that Lucy’s innocent eyes weren’t meant to see. Figuring Compton Pass wasn’t big enough for either the three of them or the pain he’d caused, Silas let loose his tightly reined wanderlust and headed for Alaska.
Ten years later, when an oil rig accident sends him home, he braces himself for the reopening of old wounds. Instead he finds himself in the care—and welcoming arms—of Lucy and Colby, whose marriage has plenty of room for the man they both still love. And forgive with all their hearts.
As things start to unravel at Compass Ranch, Silas must dig deep for the strength to assume his rightful place in the Compton family…and lay the foundation for a future with his lovers. If he can forgive himself.
This book is overflowing with sexy cowboys who like to saddle up and ride each other as well as the woman of their dreams. The likelihood of becoming addicted to their ranch family is high. With three more stories yet to come, beware. You won’t be able to read just one!
Read an excerpt
Thank you so much Mari for being my guest and congrats to both you and Jayne on what promises to be a great series! Earlier I asked what could be sexier than cowboys...how about FOUR of them! Especially if we get to have three more delicious covers to go along with the steamy stories :)
If you'd like to learn more about author Mari Carr and the books she writes you can find her at her website www.maricarr.com, Facebook, Twitter, and the International Heat blog. If you'd like to learn more about her co-author Jayne Rylon, you can find her at her website www.jaynerylon.com, her blog, Facebook, and Twitter as well as Jayne and Mari's joint Yahoo Group Heat Wave Readers.
To celebrate the release of Mari and Jayne's first book in their Compass Brothers series, Northern Exposure, Mari would like to giveaway a signed copy of her anthology Sugar and Spice, Everything Nice to one lucky Musings follower.
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Name two other series written by Mari Carr and submit them using this form. The answer can be found by visiting her website at www.maricarr.com AND please show her some comment love by leaving a meaningful comment or question for her. (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US & International addresses
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on March 19th at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*I am an Amazon affiliate and receive a small (and I mean very small) referral fee for purchases made using a link on this blog. I don't use Amazon to earn money, I use it because the widgets are cool, easy to use, and serve my purposes to showcase books & such with minimal effort, but most importantly they have great prices and offer both new and used items. As a book addict I love that I can find just about anything I want in one place. If you are going to purchase a featured book anyway, and you know you won't pay more by using the links on this blog than you would by visiting Amazon on your own, I will be eternally grateful for supporting this blog by using the links, and don't forget that the referral fees from your purchases will sponsor the "Reader Rewards" giveaways :)