Wednesday, September 28
Infidelity in romance novels is like the third rail, and is hardly ever the basis of a romance story which must contain a HEA. But it happens, and it is devastating. So how do you love after that kind of betrayal whether it is with the person that was unfaithful, or with someone new. Interesting questions that I think make for a potentially powerful romance no matter the time period.
Author Ashley March has dared to write a love story involving not one, but two characters who are attempting to survive infidelity and find their HEA. She is here today to share an interview with her heroine from Romancing the Countess, Leah George who has the courage to not only to love, but to pursue her own happiness. Read and enjoy!
An Interview with Leah George: The Middle
Thanks so much to Seductive Musings for hosting me today as I celebrate my new Victorian romance, ROMANCING THE COUNTESS! I’m going to post a new interview with my heroine soon, but first I’d like to give you a little background about the book and what’s going on at the time of this interview.
ROMANCING THE COUNTESS is about an Earl and his best friend’s wife who are drawn together after their spouses—who were having an affair—die in a carriage accident. While Sebastian Madinger, the Earl of Wriothesly, didn’t know of his wife’s infidelity, Leah George had been carrying the secret of her husband’s betrayal for the past year. She is ready to move on with her life and pursue happiness instead of propriety—something she’s never done before. She decides to host a house party. Unfortunately, Sebastian believes the scandal this could cause could incite rumors about the affair and hurt his son, so he goes to the house party to try to intervene.
ASHLEY: I spoke with Sebastian last week, and he seemed surprised at the way the house party turned out. Apparently it’s not as scandalous as he thought it would be. *smiles* This was very cleverly done, Leah. How long did it take you to plan how you would organize the events so it wouldn’t seem as scandalous?
LEAH: smiling back: Yes, he did seem surprised, didn’t he? It’s good to keep him a little off-balance sometimes, I think. I believe I started dreaming about what I could do when I spent time here after Ian’s funeral. It was so quiet and peaceful, and while I needed that time to myself, I also became tired of the loneliness that’s been suffocating me for so long. It seemed like the perfect place to move on, and a fitting way to do it—a punctuation between my life with Ian and my life after him.
ASHLEY: I know Sebastian was prepared for the worst, and that he thought he would have to watch you closely. Have you gotten along since he’s come, or are you constantly at each other’s throats? Does he interfere a lot with your plans for the house party?
LEAH: The first night he came I thought I was going to kill him. He acted like such an insufferable bastard! And the next day, too, to tell the truth. But in a way I understood—I wasn’t exactly the nicest person after I found out about the affair, either. And eventually, he became…much nicer.
ASHLEY: raising eyebrow: Nicer, hmm? Would you like to explain a bit more?
LEAH: Well…let’s just say he’s made himself quite likable. *rushes on* Not that I like him overmuch, just… we’re closer to friends now than we were before. Not friends, exactly, but…something closer than acquaintances.
ASHLEY: I see…and is this why you two kissed?
LEAH: stiffening: I didn’t expect him to do that. And I don’t think I’d like to talk about it now, thank you very much.
ASHLEY: Hmm. A sensitive subject, I see. But we’ll move on for the last question. The house party is quickly coming to a close. I know you have something unexpected in store for everyone, something that might finally cause quite a scandal. Why are so willing to see your reputation ruined, and what are your plans afterward?
LEAH, a small, secretive smile turning her lips: It’s not precisely that I want to ruin myself. It’s not that at all. It’s that I’ve finally reached the point in my life—after living with my mother and obeying her for so long, after keeping the burden of Ian’s affair—where my reputation simply doesn’t matter as much as being free to pursue my own happiness. And sometimes, happiness means doing something simply because I want to. I know there will be consequences—I’m certainly not naïve in that regard—but I’m no longer the weak woman who’s afraid of her own independence. This is my life, and it’s time for me to do as I wish, even if the future isn’t clear beyond the new few days. Now that I know who I am, I know I can make it through whatever happens.
To read my other interviews with Leah and my interviews with Sebastian, make sure to keep up with my ROMANCING THE COUNTESS Book Tour (details at www.ashleymarch.com).
But for now, I’d love to know how you’ve expressed your independence in the past, even if it was something that didn’t seem to make a lot of sense to everyone else. Have you ever quit a steady job, traveled to a new country, did something completely unexpected?
One random commenter will be chosen to win a copy of my newest book, ROMANCING THE COUNTESS (open internationally)! Also, find out how to win the ROMANCING THE COUNTESS Book Tour Grand Prize of 50+ romance novels by visiting www.ashleymarch.com!
Sebastian Madinger, the Earl of Wriothesly, thought he'd married the perfect woman-until a fatal accident revealed her betrayal with his best friend. After their deaths, Sebastian is determined to avoid a scandal for the sake of his son. But his best friend's widow is just as determined to cast her mourning veil aside by hosting a party that will surely destroy both their reputations and expose all of his carefully kept secrets...
Leah George has carried the painful knowledge of her husband's affair for almost a year. All she wants now is to enjoy her independence and make a new life for herself-even if that means being ostracized by the Society whose rules she was raised to obey. Now that the rumors are flying, there's only one thing left for Sebastian to do: silence the scandal by enticing the improper widow into becoming a proper wife. But when it comes to matters of the heart, neither Sebastian nor Leah is prepared for the passion they discover in each other's arms....
Thank you so much Ashley for being my guest today and congratulations on Romancing the Countess! I can't wait to read it, and you better believe that I'll be checking out that contest to win all of those books...fair warning to all of my fellow blog hoppers :)
If you'd like to learn more about Ashley March and the romances that she writes, including her upcoming contemporary romances, you can find her at her website www.ashleymarch.com, on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads.
To celebrate the release of her new historical romance, Ashley would like to giveaway a print copy of Romancing the Countess to one very lucky Musings follower! Here's how you can enter to win:
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Answer the question Ashley asked readers in her post. And please feel free to leave her some comment love about Countess...or any of her other books! (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US addresses only
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on September 30th at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*Seductive Musings is an Amazon affiliate and receives a very small referral fee for purchases made via the links on the blog and through the Seductive Musings Amazon Store. Read the full disclosure here.