Wednesday, October 5
It's kind of fitting in October to be talking about Goblins, but when I think about Goblins I picture in my mind grotesque and malicious beings...that is until I got a look at the cover of The Goblin King by Shona Husk! While the hero on the cover appears to be menacing, he's more like the trick or treat candy that we all like to gobble up this time of year. Yum! Of course he's not a Goblin yet, but a Celtic King, so....yeah, even more Yum! Like Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Yum!
Author Shona Husk is my guest today to share a bit about The Goblin King, and has provided a very special excerpt that you won't find anywhere else! Read and enjoy!
Welcome to Seductive Musings Shona! For you, what makes a romance novel a great love story and what makes writing paranormal romances so compellingly seductive to your muse?
Thank you for inviting me over :) A great love story has to sweep the reader away. I have to want the hero and heroine to get together and believe they are made for each other. I also like it when they have to beat the odds to be together. Because of this I struggle with the pre-destined soul mate that often appears in paranormal romances (don’t throw things at me, but feel free to recommend a really good one). I love writing paranormal romance because I like to make things up and world building is fun. My muse likes to roam free and pick at different cultures and times and then bring them all together.
Your newest novel, The Goblin King is the first book in your new Shadowlands series. Can you tell us a little bit about the books in this series, how many there might be, and how they are all connected?
The Shadowlands is the realm of nightmares where goblins reside. When a Celtic king was cursed and banished there, his men shared his fate. The series is each of their stories and their struggle to remain human instead of giving in and becoming goblin. There are three books, The Goblin King, Kiss of the Goblin Prince and For the Love of a Goblin Warrior. While The Goblin King starts when Eliza is an adult, she and Roan met once when she was a teenager. The free prequel (available at all major eBook retailers), The Summons, is that meeting.
Let’s talk about your fantastic cover! There are a many Musings readers who will buy a romance as long as it has Paul Marron on the cover, so in that respect it’s like winning the cover lottery :) Can you tell us what your reaction was when you saw it for the first time?
YUM! I love the cover, right down the expression on his face. A few people who’ve read the prequel have asked ‘where are his dreads?’—but if you read the book you’ll find out what happens to them.
Most authors have a synopsis, outline or idea of what the story they are about to write will be. However, sometimes during the writing process your “Muse” might speak to you and lead you in a different or unplanned direction. What surprised or changed the most from your original intent for The Goblin King?
I started writing The Goblin King with the firm intention that it was going to be one book…but as I wrote the scenes with Roan and his brother, Dai, I realized there was more going on and by the time The Goblin King was done I knew what books 2 and 3 were about. There were a few other surprises like Gob, the captive goblin, Roan’s love of Bollywood films and the appearance of the Summerland.
If you had an opportunity to provide only a two or three sentence "teaser" quote from The Goblin King, to grab the attention of potential readers and give them a glimpse and feeling of what the story is about what would it be?
‘I can’t.’ The words were almost silent. She couldn’t live in the perpetual nightmare of the Shadowlands as queen. Yet she couldn’t live without seeing Roan.
Tell us about your hero, Roan. What do you think will make readers, much like his heroine Eliza, fall in love with him? And can you tell us a little bit about their story in The Goblin King?
Roan has a heart of gold, literally, after being wrongly cursed by a druid. He’s almost given up on finding a cure. Even though he wants Eliza he knows he can’t have her because of what he is. And yet they can’t resist each other. I love Roan because will fight for what’s right, protect what is his and do anything for the woman he loves.
What's your favorite scene or moment from The Goblin King, and why? Can you describe it for us without giving too much away?
Only one? I love the power and the hurt when Eliza summons Roan and sees him as a goblin for the first time—he is everything a goblin should be, hideous and terrifying. He never wanted her to see him like that and up until then she has refused to see him as anything but a man.
What are five fun facts about you or this book that readers would love to know?
- When I was a child I wanted to grow up and be Dr Who's assistant (never let reality limit your dreams).
- My first literary crush was Rhodry, a sword wielding half-elf, from Katherine Kerr's Deverry series.
- I have drunk absinthe and tequila for research purposes—both were delicious.
- I wrote pages and pages of back-story that never went into the book because I needed to know how Roan and his men were cursed and what that first summons was like before I could actually start the story.
- My goblin world bible is a notebook with tabs hanging out of it so I can find things easily. It’s sat on my desk for three years as I’ve added bits and pieces to it, like character info and timelines and maps. It’s a bit haphazard but because my worlds grow organically around the characters it seems to work.
Can you tell us about some of your upcoming releases, or new projects that we can look forward to?
In 2012 there are two more Shadowlands books—Dai and Amanda’s story in Kiss of the Goblin Prince, and Meryn’s fight for humanity in For the Love of a Goblin Warrior. But between now and then I have a romantic fantasy novel Dark Vow (Carina Press) out in November and a paranormal romance novella, Brightwater Blood out in January (Samhain Publishing).
If you could ask readers a question, or have them finish a sentence what would it be?
The fairy tale I'd most like to live in would be...
Finally, just for fun…if you could write the “fortune” in a fortune cookie what would it be?
Gold can’t buy a soul.
Once Upon a Time…
A man was cursed to the Shadowlands, his heart replaced with a cold lump of gold. In legends, he became known as… The Goblin King.
For a favored few he will grant a wish. Yet, desperately clinging to his waning human soul, his one own desire remains unfulfilled… A Willing Queen.
But who would consent to move from the modern-day world into the realm of nightmares? No matter how intoxicating his touch, no matter how deep his valor, loving him is dangerous. And the one woman who might dare to try could also destroy forever his chance at a … Happily Ever After.
Read an exclusive excerpt for Musings readers in the flipbook below, or read it in a Google document here.
Thank you Shona for being my guest today and congratulations on the release of The Goblin King!
If you'd like to learn more about Shona Husk and the her heroes who have a heart of gold--sometimes literally, you can find her at her website www.shonahusk.com, Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads. It's where you can also find information on how to download the FREE prequel, The Summons.
To celebrate the release of the first book in the Shadowlands series, The Goblin King, Shona's publishers Sourcebooks Casablanca would like to giveaway a print copy of the book to two Musings readers. Here's how you can enter to win...
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Answer the question Shona asked readers in the interview & don't forget to leave her some comment love! (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- You can also earn extra entries by sharing the flipbook excerpt on Facebook, Twitter, your website or blog or other social media sites. You can earn 5 entries for each place that you share it and leave a link in the comments.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US & Canadian addresses only
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on October 8th at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*Seductive Musings is an Amazon affiliate and receives a very small referral fee for purchases made via the links on the blog and through the Seductive Musings Amazon Store. Read the full disclosure here.