Tuesday, November 8
As you all may or may not know, I'm not a big re-reader. Once I've read a book I rarely, as in almost never, re-read a book. I think I can count on one hand the number of books that I've re-read...like ever.
So when I heard that Vivian Arend was re-issuing Rocky Mountain Heat, the first book I read of hers (which prompted me to email her the very next day btw) I knew I had to re-read it. I had burning questions that I needed answers to! Would it be as good as the first time I read it? What changes, or additions were made and would that affect my overall impression? I now know the answers to those questions, but I'm gonna make you wait for my review of RMH next week to find out :)
Vivian Arend is my guest today to talk about her own "Re's", writing, the Six Pack Ranch series, and of course Rocky Mountain Heat. Read and enjoy!
Revise. Rewrite. Restart.
In the fall of 2008 I had one contract for an upcoming paranormal release and I was writing as fast as I could because the new business I’d fallen into was so exciting and fresh, I couldn’t stop myself. Not aware that authors are supposed to find one genre and stick with it, I saw the call for a cowboy anthology and decide I should take a try. I’d grown up in Calgary, Alberta; I’d been out on working ranches during the summers with friends.
I’d ridden an electric bull at a bar. I could write a cowboy book!
So I did.
Now Rocky Mountain Heat gets the prize for being the most re-written story I’ve got in my portfolio. There was the original draft. 30,000 words. The second version that hit 42,000 and was published with a small press. And then after pulling it off the shelf and adding and revising and polishing, the story is now double its initial start and there’s a whole world in the Coleman family and the Six Pack Ranch that has become real to me.
It’s been interesting to see the evolution, and I’m so grateful for the opportunity.
The lesson for me as a writer is also that as I continue to write and grow, there will be change. Like the change in the characters lives that gets them to the next step, my writer’s life has changed from those first shiny wild enthusiasm days. The world is still a wonderful one, and I’m having a blast, but in a way it’s richer now. Fuller. I know more and can appreciate more the good things and the good people around me.
I think my writer’s life has had a revision. And that’s not a bad thing at all.
He’s the one who taught her to ride. Now all he wants is to ride her.
Blake Coleman is old enough to know that acting on impulse causes nothing but a heap of trouble. But when trouble’s a western-hat-wearing blonde with slim legs that go on forever, what’s a man to do? Wanting the sweet girl next door is just wrong. The responsible thing to do is keep his hands off.
Jaxi has other plans for Blake’s hands, and his heart. She may have once considered him a big brother, but that was a long time ago. She’s all grown up now and ready to convince him that she’s perfect for him. Except he can’t seem to see past the big “don’t touch” sign that’s apparently still hanging around her neck.
When Jaxi ends up living right under Blake’s nose, the undeniable heat between them slides off simmer and leaps up to barn-burning levels. However, a few of the younger six-pack Colemans have decided Jaxi’s brand of trouble is worth risking a few busted bones.
That is, if Blake’s finally ready to let go the reins and fight for what he wants…
Warning: Sexy cowboys seducing and being seduced in trucks, pool halls and barns. Droolworthy country charm, a little double-teaming, a few secrets and a whole lot of brothers to look forward to. Anyone wanna go for a ride?
Congratulations Vivian!!! You know how much I love a good cowboy romance...and to know that I have five more to look forward to is a little bit of six pack ranch heaven :) That and being able to read Rocky Mountain Heat twice...with even more to love than the first time :) Rocky Mountain Heat releases next Tuesday(11/15) from Samhain Publishing, with Rocky Mountain Haven on 1/10/12, and Rocky Mountain Desire on 3/13/12.
If you'd like to learn more about Vivian Arend and all of the different types of romances that she writes you can find her at her website www.vivianarend.com, her blog, on Facebook, and on Twitter.
To celebrate the release of the new version of Rocky Mountain Heat, Vivian would like to giveaway a print copy of Turn It On (Book #1 in the Turner Twins series) It's one of my favs, and is also timely since the heroine cooks up more heat in the kitchen than just the turkey...if you get my drift. Here's how you can enter to win.
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Show Vivian some comment love with a question or thought about her books. And if you've read them, which is your favorite...the paranormals, the contemporaries...?(good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US & International addresses
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on November 11th at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*Seductive Musings is an Amazon affiliate and receives a very small referral fee for purchases made via the links on the blog and through the Seductive Musings Amazon Store. Read the full disclosure here.