Friday, December 2
Welcome back to Seductive Musings Jill! And VERY BIG congrats on winning the RITA award for Simply Irresistible, the first book in the Lucky Harbor series, which was also was one of my favorite reads of 2010. You totally deserved it!!!
There’s an adage that says “write what you know”. You make no secret about your often hilarious and frequently embarrassing “I Love Lucy” moments. What’s the craziest, funniest, most embarrassing, or most bizarre thing you’ve ever researched, experienced, or observed that has made it's way into one of your characters or books?
Well it's not going to be what you think. Yes, I live an I Love Lucy/Calamity Jane type life, and I tell it all in my daily blog, but when it comes to my books, I try to make everything fiction. But for The Sweetest Thing I did something especially crazy for the chef heroine -- I learned to cook. Oh, the things I burned. I can't even tell you how many times I set off the fire alarm. Good thing we have cute firefighters here ...
Tell us about the your newest hero, Sawyer Thompson, the sexy sheriff in Lucky Harbor. What do you think will make readers, much like his heroine, the wild child Chloe, fall in love with him despite being opposites?
Let's just suffice it to say that opposites attract, and that a big, tough, reformed bad boy who doesn't believe in love for himself has his entire life changed by a sexy little tumbleweed just blowing through town …
In Head Over Heels, Chloe seeks the advice of her Love Predictor (a kind of "lucky 8" ball). Can you share with us some of the moments and reasons why she does this?
Chloe uses the Love Predictor because it's easier than making real decisions. Unfortunately that backfires on her, several times, when it accurately predicts just about everything that happens to her in the love department.
What are five fun facts about you or this book that readers would love to know?
- Sheriff Sawyer Thompson would rather lick the sidewalk than face nosy body Lucille.
- Chloe has had a secret thing for Sawyer since the day she first came to town in Simply Irresistible, all the way through The Sweetest Thing and into Head Over Heels, though she’d shoot you if you said so.
- I wrote Head Over Heels with five teenage girls in my house over one very long summer, every day pretending that I was Chloe and that Sawyer was mine.
- Sawyer eats like a twelve year old boy and so do I.
- Chloe got Sawyer drunk on purpose for nefarious reasons, not the least of which was to get her paint covered hands all over his delish bod. Shh, don’t tell.
Breaking rules and breaking hearts
Free-spirited Chloe lives life on the edge. Unlike her soon-to-be married sisters, she isn't ready to settle into a quiet life running their family's newly renovated inn. But soon her love of trouble--and trouble with love-draws the attention of the very stern, very sexy sheriff who'd like nothing better than to tame her wild ways.
Suddenly Chloe can't take a misstep without the sheriff hot on her heels. His rugged swagger and his enigmatic smile are enough to make a girl beg to be handcuffed. For the first time, instead of avoiding the law, Chloe dreams of surrender. Can this rebel find a way to keep the peace with the straitlaced sheriff? Or will Chloe's colorful past keep her from a love that lasts . . . and the safe haven she truly wants in a town called Lucky Harbor?
AND as a special treat Jill provided an extra excerpt for Musings readers:
“What happened out there?” Chloe asked Sawyer.
“I ticketed Todd for the illegal bonfire.”
“He was the one who started it.”
She paused. Todd was one of those guys who could talk his way into a bank vault with nothing but a smile, and then walk out with all the money, leaving the bank manager happy to have been ripped off. He was also a native Lucky Harbor guy, and the residents were very fond of their own, troubled son or no. Sawyer was native too, and just as well liked, if not more so. “You ticketed him even though everyone lights illegal bonfires out there?”
“Not in a high fire hazard season they don’t,” he said.
“It’s almost October.”
“Fire season,” Sawyer repeated.
“So … if I lit a campfire, you’d arrest me?”
“Ticket,” he corrected. “Not arrest. Not for a first offense.”
What was wrong with her that the stern cop thing he had going on was doing it for her? Huh. Maybe she didn’t want to fight this attraction so much as test its boundaries. “What if it was my second offense? Would you frisk and cuff me then?”
His eyes darkened. “What is it with you and my cuffs?”
“Well, if you don’t know,” Chloe said as demurely as she could, “I don’t want to corrupt you.” She made to go inside but Sawyer snagged the back of her sweater and tugged her back.
“Not so fast,” he said and studied her, giving nothing of his thoughts away. “You’re playing with me,” he finally decided.
Need more? Check out Ch 2-4 here.
Thanks Jill for being my guest today! Head Over Heels is one book that I am thankful for this year :) As well as the news that the Lucky Harbor series will continue with three more books to come next year! Can I hear a big woo hoo? And did you know that Tara's ex, Logan, from The Sweetest Thing got his own happy ending in Jill's story in the holiday anthology Small Town Christmas, which was released earlier this month? I felt kind of bad for Logan in TST, so I was happy he got a happy ending too :)
You all know how much I love not only Jill's books but also her blog, and her website. Basically I'm a big fangirl :) If you'd like to learn more about Jill Shalvis you can find her on her website, www.jillshalvis.com, her blog, Facebook, & Twitter. I highly recommend her blog, it's always good for a daily laugh, and fans of the Lucky Harbor series will definitely want to check out the story behind the series. And if you have an "i"-anything Jill's heroine, Chloe, from Head Over Heels has her own iApp, Chloe's Love Advisor (free), where she will answer questions about your love life. How fun is that! It's times like this that I wish I had an iPhone (but don't get me started on that whole phone thing again!)
To celebrate the release of the third book in the Lucky Harbor series, Head Over Heels, Jill's publisher Forever Romance would like to giveaway a print copy of the book to three lucky Musings followers. Here's how you can enter to win:
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Answer this question: Which Lucky Harbor sister do you identify with the most...the youngest "wild child" Chloe, the "picture perfect" oldest Tara, or Maddie the "quiet people pleaser" middle child..or maybe you are more like Phoebe their mother who marched to her own beat? If you haven't read the books yet, you can check them out here so that you can pick which is more you. (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- You can also earn extra entries by sharing the flipbook excerpt on Facebook, Twitter, your website or blog or other social media sites. You can earn 5 entries for each place that you share it and leave a link in the comments.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US & Canada addresses only. No PO Boxes.
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on December 11th at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*Seductive Musings is an Amazon affiliate and receives a very small referral fee for purchases made via the links on the blog and through the Seductive Musings Amazon Store. Read the full disclosure here.