Friday, March 16
My guest author today wrote one of my favorite romances from 2011, so any time I see that she has a new contemporary romance coming out I count down the days until I can get my booklover hands (e-reader) on it...especially if it's one of her Coleman cowboys from her Six Pack Ranch series! I've been hooked on this series ever since I've been blogging.
Vivian is here today (woo hoo!), newly returned from her trip to South America, to share a bit about how she writes the stories that I've loved. Enjoy!
How does a story evolve? One thing I’m learning as an author is that what I expect rarely happens—in my writing world things are constantly changing.
I usually try to and get to know the characters a little bit before diving into writing the meat of their stories. Some writers enjoy doing character interviews or extensive character profiles before even beginning the book. I like to think up a situation that would cause both hero and heroine some stress, toss them into it, and watch them react.
Yes, being an author is a lot of evil, mean, wicked fun.
In Rocky Mountain Desire I had a pretty good handle on the hero. Matt Coleman has been a part of the first two books in the Six Pack Ranch series, including having some terrible luck in the romance department. After all his heartache, I wasn’t really looking forward to being mean to Matt, but I had the heroine Hope who I had to find out more about.
So… I tossed them into a bar, added a bachelor party, a bit of history, and in the end they did okay. They were pretty honest about the attraction they felt for the other person, honest about the ensuing awkwardness, and they finished that test scene in perfect romance story style—running as fast as possible away from each other.
Which meant I had to toss them back together in another impossible situation to make the real story start. **rubs hands with glee** It was a great “getting to know them” exercise.
What I didn`t expect? That they would turn around and start tossing those mean, evil twists in my direction! I’m supposed to be the one in charge, but no…all of a sudden my nice little plan (HA!) turns into a mess because the characters introduced a new element. And another. Which is actually a lovely problem as an author—to have the characters tell you what is supposed to happen next.
It means I get to enjoy the adventure as I write it.
In the end, Matt and Hope reached what I ultimately had planned for them—a happily-ever-after, but they sure took a different route than I imagined. I hope you enjoy Rocky Mountain Desire, and all the twists in the road.
If you’d like to try a taste of the Six Pack Ranch, I have an ebook copy of winner’s choice—either book 1 in the series, Rocky Mountain Heat, or book 2, Rocky Mountain Haven. Leave a comment for your chance to win.
Matt Coleman always figured at this point in his life, he’d be settled down with a family. Since his ex split for the big city, though, no way will he give anyone else the chance to drop-kick his heart. Physical pleasure? Hell, yeah, he’ll take—and give—with gusto, but nothing more.
Hope Meridan is working long hours to hold on to her new quilt shop, going it alone since her sister/business partner ran off. Sex? Right, like she’s got the time. Not that she doesn’t have the occasional dirty fantasy about Matt. Fat chance he’d dream of knocking boots with her—the younger sister of the woman who dumped him. Nope, she’ll just have to settle for the F-word.
Friends would be far easier if there wasn’t something combustible going on between them. And when casual interest starts to grow into something more, their tenuous bond strengthens in the heat of desire. But it may not survive the hurricane-force arrival of the last person either of them ever wanted to see again…
Warning: Small-town rivals, men in pursuit and family meddling—in good and bad ways. Look for a cowboy who knows how to rope, ride and rein in a hell of a lot more than eight seconds of sheer bliss.
Congratulations Vivian on the release of Rocky Mountain Desire! I've been waiting a long time for a new Coleman brother. I'm sure it will be worth the wait especially with all of it's twists, and turns :)
If you'd like to learn more about the contemporary and paranormal romances that Vivian Arend writes you can find her at her website www.vivianarend.com, and her blog (where she's been sharing pictures from her recent trip to Ecuador), as well as Facebook, and Twitter. Make sure you check out her Free Reads page...especially if you are a Granite Lake Wolves series fan!
As Vivian mentioned earlier, to celebrate the release of Rocky Mountain Desire she'd like to giveaway a digital copy of either the first book in the series, Rocky Mountain Heat, or the second book in the series, Rocky Mountain Haven to one lucky Musings follower (personally I don't think you can go wrong with either!) Here's how you can enter to win:
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: What's your favorite line or moment from the excerpt at Vivian's website (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US & International followers
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on March 18th at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*Seductive Musings is an Amazon affiliate and receives a very small referral fee for purchases made via the links on the blog and through the Seductive Musings Amazon Store. Read the full disclosure here.