Wednesday, May 9
Yesterday we talked about secrets in Lila DiPasqua's Undone, today we have another heroine who also has secrets, and despite doing her very best to keep them has found herself in a bit of a pickle.
New York Times & USA Today Bestselling author, and 2012 RITA finalist for Best Regency Historical Romance, Grace Burrowes is my guest today to share with us Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal, her newest book in her Windham Family series, and how in asking for help, she found love. Enjoy!
When I undertook to write books for the Windham sisters, I started off with an easy challenge: Lady Sophie’s book was scheduled for the Christmas slot, so I could turn to all the Christmas traditions—no room at the inn, the three wise men (older brothers) bearing down on Sophie just when she wants to be Left Alone, an abandoned baby with oodles of charm and a handsome swain who knows his way around the nursery. Suffice it to say, the writing went fairly easily.
Then…. Then came Lady Maggie’s Secret Scandal, and my confidence faltered. Maggie is the oldest of five girls, the second oldest of ten siblings. I’m the sixth out of seven. Maggie is wonderful with figures, I’m math-avoidant. Maggie is tall with flaming red hair; I’m not tall and my hair has never been anything but brown (and gray). And yet… Maggie is the Windham sister whose story called to me most strongly after Sophie.
In Maggie, I found a heroine with a universal problem. She has to choose between her families, between her mother, with whom she spent the first five years of her life, and her paternal ducal family, whom she has loved and protected for the last 25 years. Her efforts to protect each family from the other, and to not be caught out in her role, have left her with not much of a life.
To this extent, I think Maggie makes a very sympathetic heroine. She has something in common with the mother trying to look after her teenagers and her aging parents; with the mom who works a full time day job, and still takes the homework shift after getting dinner on the table. Those roles are hard, exhausting, and sometimes in conflict with each other.
Maggie learns a significant lesson, in that, when she finally permits Benjamin Hazlit to help her resolve the tensions in her life, he does not let her down. In real life, tall, dark, handsome heroes aren’t in abundant supply, but sometimes, help is just a phone call away.
Is there a situation in your life where you finally, finally let somebody give you a hand, and found out not only did the sky remain in its assigned location, but life got a whole lot better when you asked for just a little bit of help?
And she's been perfectly capable of keeping them...until now. When she's threatened with exposure, she turns to investigator Benjamin Hazlit to keep catastrophe at bay. But Maggie herself intrigues Benjamin more than the riddle she's set him to solve. As he uncovers more and more of her past, Maggie struggles to keep him at a distance, until they both begin to discover the truth in their hearts...
Congratulations Grace on the recent release of Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal and thank you so much for being my guest today! Grace wrote one of my favorite romances in 2011, Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (which is also the book she is a RITA finalist for), so I can't even begin to tell you how much I've been looking forward to not only this book, but also the two other Windham stories due out this year, Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight, and The Bridegroom Wore Plaid.
If you'd like to learn more about Grace Burrowes and the books she writes you can find her at her website www.graceburrowes.com, her blog, on Facebook, Twitter and occasionally at Blame it on the Muse.
To celebrate the release of Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal, Grace would like to giveaway signed print copies to TWO lucky Musings followers. Here's how you can enter to win...
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Answer the question Grace asked readers in her post. And feel free to leave her comments/questions about this book, or any of her previous stories (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US & International addresses
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on May 10th at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org, and/or by the author
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*Seductive Musings is an Amazon affiliate and receives a very small referral fee for purchases made via the links on the blog and through the Seductive Musings Amazon Store. Read the full disclosure here.