Tuesday, May 1
Have you ever had a moment in your past that you've never been able to live down? Maybe it's something you can laugh about now, but sometimes...it's something more substantial that shapes your character either for good or bad. That effects who you are, or who you want to be. Miranda, the heroine in The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting, had one of those experiences fresh out of high school, and it deeply affected her in many ways.
Jessica Clare is my guest today to talk about her new book The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting, her heroine Miranda, and Miranda's reluctant hero, Dane. Enjoy!
Welcome to Seductive Musings Jessica! For you, what makes a romance novel a great love story and what makes writing hot contemporary romances so compellingly seductive to your muse?
Hi there! Thanks for having me!
For me, romance is all about writing that emotional, fun story that I would love to read. The best thing about being an author is that I’m my own reader, so I have to write something that I enjoy, first and foremost. My journey to hot contemporary romance started with a friend daring me to write something that didn’t have vampires or shifters in it. It was a challenge to think of a storyline that involved two normal people, just being normal and having normal hangups. Crazy, right? But so, so appealing. I loved writing it!
Your newest novel, A Girl’s Guide to (Man)Hunting, is the first book in your new Bluebonnet series. Can you tell us a little bit about the books in this series, how many there might be, and how they are all connected?
The Girl’s Guide to (Man)Hunting starts with a focus on a small town in Texas called Bluebonnet. The heroine, Miranda, has lived in Bluebonnet all her life, and she’s a bit of a town legend. The hero moved away, achieved fame and fortune, and now he’s back. Naturally, Miranda hates this.
Each book focuses on Bluebonnet, of course, and there’s a smaller focus on the guys that run Wilderness Survival Expeditions. They’re a group of friends that run a survival camp. Have you ever seen one of those movies where they send all the suits to a camp so that they can spend seven days out in the wild learning teamwork? I thought that was a ton of crap, too…until my boss went. After that, I was fascinated and determined to write a story about it.
The next book, Care and Feeding of an Alpha Male features Beth Ann, who is Miranda’s best friend, and Colt, who is a survival expert and a volunteer firefighter. Beth Ann gets stranded in the woods in a storm, and it’s up to Colt to save her. Except, she’s not so happy at being saved, and so he plays a very nasty trick on her…which ends up backfiring on him in a big (and totally sexy) way.
I have two more books contracted (provided that sales are decent!) and a novella. So there will be a lot more Bluebonnet in 2012 and 2013.
Tell us about your hero, Dane Croft. What do you think will make readers, much like his heroine Miranda, fall in love with him even though he broke her heart? And can you tell us a little bit about their story in A Girl’s Guide to (Man)Hunting?
Dane recently went through a bit of a personality crisis in his life. Everyone sees him as this big shot hockey player and he’s a town legend, but he’s got tons of hangups about the game and how he left it all behind. I wouldn’t say that he’s tortured as much as he’s been wounded in the past, and is reluctant to trust again. Who doesn’t have a soft spot for the big, wounded jock? ;) He’s generally a good guy, and pretty easy-going, which is why Miranda totally throws him for a loop (which was totally fun).
What's your favorite scene or moment from A Girl’s Guide to (Man)Hunting, and why? Can you describe it (or provide a short excerpt) for us without giving too much away?
This is one of my favorite scenes! It’s when the team is scattered out on a ‘team building’ exercise. They’re supposed to be playing paintball, but Miranda has other ideas.
or read it in a Google Document here
What are five fun facts about this book, that readers would love to know?
- I bought several Southeast Texas maps and researched Texas National Forests to ‘set’ the location for Bluebonnet.
- There’s not really a town in Texas called Bluebonnet. I totally checked! Surprising, since the Bluebonnet is the state flower.
- The tiny library that Miranda works in is based on the city library that I used to visit when I was a kid, back before it was placed in a ‘real’ building (it was more or less in the basement of the city hall before).
- I wrote the entire book to Taylor Swift music. Specifically, her latest CD. Don’t judge.
- I’m addicted to survival TV shows. I love Survivorman, Dual Survival, Survivor, and just about everything else you can find. Recently, I watched a reality TV show about people that paid for an expedition to Mt. Everest. HELLO PLOT IDEA. (Also, Mount Everest? Least sexy location ever. It’s the frostbite.) So I watched a lot of TV and read a lot of survival guides to brush up on scenarios that the teams would run into.
Can you tell us about some of your upcoming releases, or new projects that we can look forward to?
I just released the final volume of the Succubus Diaries as my Jill Myles pen name. I’ll be self-publishing a few smaller projects over the summer under Jill Myles as well. This fall, I have an anthology and a full length shifter novel as Jessica Sims, and another Bluebonnet book as Jessica Clare. 2012’s a little crazy for me!
Finally, just for fun…if you could write the “fortune” in a fortune cookie what would it be?
I actually got a fortune cookie once that had a fortune that said “Hands that touch this slip have no worries”. I laminated it and carry it with me in my wallet. So I would like for everyone else to get one of those, because I think it’s brought me luck!
Once, Miranda felt a little exposed…
Miranda Hill can’t believe her eyes—her cocky ex-boyfriend, pro-hockey player Dane Croft, is back in Bluebonnet, Texas, after all these years. He ditched her – and their little town – just as some rather shocking photos showed up on the internet for the whole town to see. Miranda wasn't so lucky. Stuck in Bluebonnet and left to fend for herself, she’s never really shaken the scandal — or his betrayal. After nine long years, he's back, and she has the chance to turn the tables on Dane…
It’s time she got even.
Former NHL hotshot playboy Dane Croft has returned home to open a survival training school on an old ranch, and reinvent himself. When his former high school girlfriend enrolls in his school, he has no idea that Miranda's plan is to get him in a compromising position—not the one he’s imagining, anyway. But soon Miranda realizes that to carry out her deviously sexy revenge, she'll have to get up close and personal with Dane all over again. Being a good girl got her nowhere for nine years, and now it's time to be a little naughty. But falling in love with the man that broke her heart was never part of the plan…
Thank you Jessica for being my guest today, and BIG congrats on the release of the first book in the Bluebonnet series! I'm reading The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting right now, and I have to say that I am enjoying it immensely. I didn't expect it to be as funny as what it is, but I think Miranda is a hoot with "Good Girl Miranda" and "Evil Miranda". "Evil Miranda" just goes for it, and you have to love her courage to do what we sometimes wish we could, but don't.
If you'd like to learn more about Jessica Clare and the books she writes under this name and Jill Myles you can find her at her website www.jillmyles.com, Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads.
To celebrate the release of The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting by Jessica Clare, her publisher Berkley Heat would like to giveaway a print copy to one very lucky Musings follower. Here's how you can enter to win...
Ways to earn entries:
- Mandatory: Answer this question: Dane didn’t know what to think when Miranda turned to him with an evil grin and pulled out __________. (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- You can also earn extra entries by sharing the flipbook excerpt on Facebook, Twitter, your website or blog or other social media sites. You can earn 5 entries for each place that you share it and leave a link in the comments.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
How to enter:
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
Rules and disclaimers:
- This contest is open to US addresses only
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on April 3rd at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice
*Seductive Musings is an Amazon affiliate and receives a very small referral fee for purchases made via the links on the blog and through the Seductive Musings Amazon Store. Read the full disclosure here.