Tuesday, January 31
When we pick up a Regency romance, there are certain things we’re conditioned to expect. Almacks. Hyde Park. Lavish balls and soirees. Basically all the things that we love about the time period. But my debut novel, A Secret in Her Kiss, is set in Constantinople. Yep, smack dab in the middle of the Ottoman Empire in 1816.
Why, you might ask? Does she have something against England? Does she not like hedgerows? No, to both questions! I love England and carefully trimmed bushes. I didn’t write this book to try to rebel against the traditional Regency. I’ve loved them ever since I was a teen trying to scope out the library’s collection without being seen. (Who me? I’m looking at these books on automotive repair…) When the idea for A Secret in Her Kiss came to me, I hesitated. Would a publisher want to buy it? The story’s hero is a handsome British army major fresh from the fields of Waterloo and the heroine is a half-English spy, but was that enough? Would the readers miss England?
England? England, who? In Constantinople, the clothing is just as elegant and lavish (and there are veils and caftans!). There are rules of etiquette Mari, the heroine, has to find ways to break. And while Hyde Park may be thousands of miles away, there are new places for Mari and Bennett to explore: open-air bazaars, lavish walled gardens, Turkish baths...
But most importantly, I think that readers will find that the story is at its heart a Regency—a love story that sizzles with intrigue, adventure, and a passion that is impossible to avoid.
Readers, what do you think defines a Regency? One randomly selected commenter will win a copy of A Secret in Her Kiss!
Saddled with a handsome, duty-obsessed “minder” to ensure that she completes—and survives—one last mission, Mari is incensed…for her guardian, Major Bennett Prestwood, is simply too dedicated, too unbending, and too disarmingly attractive. But in the face of dark secrets and deadly treacheries, as the true peril to Mari is slowly revealed, loyal soldier Bennett realizes that, to save and win this extraordinary woman, he will have to do the unthinkable and break the rules—rules that passion and desire have suddenly, irrevocably changed.
Enjoy this very special excerpt just for Musings readers:
- Mandatory: Answer the question Anna asked readers in her post & don't forget to leave her some comment love about the excerpt or even a question about the book! (good for 1 entry)
- Mandatory: You MUST be a Google Friend Connect (GFC) follower in order to be eligible to win (unfortunately an email subscriber, or subscription in Google reader, and a follower are not the same thing so make sure you are signed up as a follower if you'd like to win this book)
- If you have a blog, or even if you don't, you can earn extra entries by telling your friends. If they successfully enter to win and mention that you sent them you can each earn extra entries. You can blog about it with a link to this post, post it on Facebook, Twitter, email...or even word of mouth (good for 5 entries for the referrer and the commenter for each friend) . Please note that to earn the points they must mention your GFC name so that I can match you.
- You can also earn extra entries by sharing the flipbook excerpt on Facebook, Twitter, your website or blog or other social media sites. You can earn 5 entries for each place that you share it and leave a link in the comments.
- Purchase any item from the Seductive Musings Amazon store by using this link, or the Amazon widget contained within this post and email a copy of your purchase receipt to me no later than the deadline to enter (email available in sidebar). Sorry purchases made prior to this date do not apply, and link contained in this post must be used. No faxes or snail mail copies are allowed. No purchases are necessary to win. (good for 25 entries, or 50 entries if a purchase is made from the featured author's available titles)
- You can choose to enter as many different ways that you want, but please place all of your entries in ONE comment
- This contest is open to US addresses only
- You must be at least 18 years or older, or of legal age in your country
- The contest will end on February 3rd at 11:59 pm EST and winner will be posted after they have been selected
- Winner(s) will be selected using Random.org
- The winner(s) will have THREE days from the date they are posted to provide a mailing address. If you do not contact me within three days a replacement winner will be selected. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The book(s) will be mailed directly from the publisher or author and no substitutions are allowed
- Winners will be subject to one copy per household, which means that if you win the same title in two or more contests, that you will only receive one copy of the title in the mail
- Seductive Musings is not responsible for prizes that are not honored, distributed in a timely manner, lost, stolen, or damaged during transit
- All giveaways are subject to change/cancellation without prior written notice